Kowalewski Hall (The Health Professions Building) Renovation
University of Cincinnati
“When we build, let us think that we build forever. Let it not be for pleasant delight, nor for present use alone.”
– Samuel Hannaford, Architect (1835–1911)
The James L. Winkle College of Pharmacy occupies this Samuel Hannaford designed building, originally completed in 1916. This five-story, 122,000 SF concrete frame and brick-clad building has four wings, providing a logical organizing path for redevelopment:
- The center wing contains the main entrance and pre-function rooms leading into the west wing’s active learning classroom, a pharmacy practice lab and student lounge.
- The north wing contains administrative and faculty offices.
- The south wing contains a team-based learning classroom, three laboratories and two large classrooms.
Wherry Hall, an addition to the south wing of HPB, was demolished. To heal the scars from this demolition and provide much-needed student study and gathering spaces, a small three-story glass-enclosed addition faces a new lawn, facing south. The top floor of this addition provides a roof deck overlooking this lawn. This addition also provides a new south entrance that will facilitate connection to a new Health Sciences Building.
The project was completed in phases to allow The College, UCIT, UC Facilities and UC Communication Services (The Print Shop) to occupy the building throughout the complex renovation. In addition, a recently completed Pharmacy Practice Lab had to remain operational during the renovation.
The new educational spaces include:
- A unique 214 seat active learning classroom in the original vaulted ceiling auditorium of the west wing. This room is designed to facilitate teaching 122 students in teams sitting at tables, and another 92 fixed seats to accommodate large seminars and lectures.
- A Team-Based Learning classroom organizes twenty teams of six around workstations with a flat screen display, allowing each team to present their solutions to the entire class.
- A Basic Science Lab, Anti-Microbial Lab and a Cosmetics Lab provide the Pharmacy students with a variety of lab experiences.
- New 60 seat and 120 seat classrooms provide traditional teaching spaces.
The Health Professions Building, was renamed Kowalewski Hall to honor former Pharmacy Dean Joseph Kowalewski.
This 100-year old building now provides state-of-the-art classroom and lab spaces for individual and team teaching, as well as inviting spaces for student interaction outside of classrooms.
The project is on track to receive LEED Silver certification.