In operation since 1855, Findlay Market is Ohio’s Oldest continuously operated public market. The Market House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It is an important piece of Cincinnati’s culture because it is a place where people of all races and income levels come to shop.
Located in Cincinnati’s Historic Over the Rhine District, this project consisted of the renovation of the Market House, the streets that create a plaza around it, renovation of the north buildings (small shops with residential units above), a new parking lot and the farmer’s market shed.
The Market House renovation included enlarging it without destroying its charm. This was accomplished by extending the interiors one bay at the east and west ends and adding “saddle-bags” to the north and south sides, while preserving the original cast and wrought iron framed roof. Mechanical equipment was placed in a slot created between the original roof and the new roof extensions. Renovation of the North Buildings included interior modifications that connected the narrow and varied floor levels of each building.
A major objective was to develop a color and materials palette that would tie the market’s varied building structures together and reflect the market’s urban location and history. The colors of fruits and vegetables sold in the market became the basis of building color selections. Materials were selected that reinforce the historic quality of the Market House.
Findlay Market was named one of America’s greatest public spaces by American Planning Association.