Cincinnati Museum Center
Union Terminal Adaptive Reuse
One of the most prominent historic structures in the Midwest, Cincinnati Union Terminal is the home of the Cincinnati Museum Center. This 500,000 square foot building was designed by Fellheimer & Wagner of New York in 1933, and has been voted the most significant and recognizable building of our region. Cincinnati Museum Center is home to the Omnimax Theater and three separate museums: the Cincinnati History Museum, the Duke Energy Children’s Museum, and the Museum of Natural History & Science.
Glaserworks was Architect of Record for the 1991 adaptive re-use project transforming the historic train station into the Cincinnati Museum Center. Verner Johnson and Associates was the Museum Design Architect. Over the following two decades, several preservation and museum expansion projects have been completed by glaserworks in response to the long range Museum Center Facility Master Plan, completed in collaboration with Dr. George Skarmeas and Hillier Architecture. The focus of the master plan is both restoration and preservation of several significant historic areas of the building, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.
The 2010 renovation includes the restoration of the Cincinnati Dining Room and Historic Dining Rooms. This project also included masonry restoration and window replacement for a portion of the building exterior, installation of a vegetated roof over the project area, and integration of significant mechanical upgrades for the project area. This restoration project was completed while the facility remained operational and required the coordination of significant logistics and security requirements for everyone involved.