Cheviot Elementary School
Cincinnati Public Schools
The original neoclassical building was designed by Samuel Hannaford and Sons as an elementary school in the 1920’s. Despite additions and renovations over the years, it did not meet the spatial or functional needs of a 550 student, K-8 school, nor did it comply with the state’s or local school district’s standards.
The renovation stripped the various accretions from the original school and set a classroom addition respectfully away. A new wing containing the common functions of art and music as well as the library and gymnasium connects new and old classroom buildings.
The space between the original building and the addition as well as the L-shaped plans of the buildings themselves create a series of exterior spaces: a formal forecourt facing the street in front of the original school, a protected kindergarten playground between classrooms and a sheltered space for a future outdoor science lab at the new classrooms.
Proportions, materials and colors of the addition draw from and extend the context of the original school.